Pontoon & Catamarran - Whats the Difference?

Worth mentioning but don't fit in other categories.
Profezzur
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Pontoon & Catamarran - Whats the Difference?

Post by Profezzur »

I've shown a few friends that pictures of my pontoon, built using the Free Pontoon Plans here on the JEM site, and they insist on calling it a catamarran. So my question is, what is the difference between a pontoon and a catamarran? The only thing I'm seeing is that a catamarran seems to have a rounded bottom on the pontoons that hold it aloft in water whereas the pontoon's pontoons are flat bottomed.

Is there any discernable difference between the two and if so, what?

TIA
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Personal opinion: Pontoon, catamaran, kinda the same thing. It's a multi hull type boat. You could get specific if you wanted.

What ever you wish to call it. A decked double pirogue! :lol:
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'day Prof,

Aussies would probably call it a catamaran but who knows? Pontoon boats are pretty much, unheard of here.

I have to admit to being a little interested in the concept and can see the potential as a sight fishing platform. Powered with a small electric trolling motor, there would be a lot of advantage in this type of boat here.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)