Tuross Dolphins.

Worth mentioning but don't fit in other categories.
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Tuross Dolphins.

Post by rodot »

Most mornings I get up at dawn and go for a paddle in the yak. There are many great waterways nearby including Wagonga Inlet. Mummunga, Corunna, Wallaga and Tuross Lakes. A major attraction is Tuross Lakes and River.
Two or three years ago three dolphins entered the lake system on high tide, but since then, the water level has dropped and the lake entrance closed. The dolphins became trapped inside. We have been in the midst of a major drought.
Most times when I paddle down the main channel I will see the dolphins. I just have to stop paddling and wait but a few moments and they will come over and play. They swim around and under the boat. Occasionally one will give the boat a very gentle nudge. I love these guys. I feel it a real priviledge that they involve me in their games.
Over recent days we have had enormous downpours and the lake entrance has re-opened. I was really happy that these guys would be able to go back to sea. Unfortunately it has been reported that a body of a dolphin was found in Tuross Lakes. I dont know why. Perhaps it was the sudden increase in fresh water.
I'm not an overly sentimental bloke, but this has knocked me rotten. These guys have become like best mates.
I'm sorry for such a morbid post, but I just had the urge to write something. I sure do hope those other two guys are OK.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
Phishtech
Type of boat I like: Laker Okwata TV 15-29

Re: Tuross Dolphins.

Post by Phishtech »

We'd love to see some piccies of your friends if you'll be so kind to post them. Hate to see any of God's magnificent creatures bite the dust. On one of my favorite paddles near my home I would see a very large alligator everytime I went out. He was 600# x 13 ft. but never bothered me. Two rednecks killed him for the fun of it just so they could have his head to show off. Even after a year I still think of him.
Phishtech
Type of boat I like: Laker Okwata TV 15-29

Post by Phishtech »

Here I am asking you for pics and didn't supply my own.
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Post by rodot »

Sorry mate. Ive got piccies of tails and flippers and vague shapes under the boat,but nothing really worth posting. I only take an el cheepo camera out on the water and with the digital lag time and the time it takes to frame them, these fellows are long gone. Even when you are really amongst them, you dont know when or where they will surface. In the end I decided just to enjoy the experience, forget the camera and enjoy the memories.

Cheers
Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico