Hot but fun

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Hot but fun

Post by tx river rat »

My granddaughter decide we needed to do a trip while she was down here. Her dad tried to tell her it would be miserable,no trying to convince a kid and a 15 year old female of that was useless ,so we headed to the Brazos at 5 yesterday ,. My put in was across some private land and the sand bar we launched from had weeds 6 ft tall , machete time. Well folks it was hot loading the boats,but as soon as we launched a nice breeze came up and it was pretty nice.
The boats we were in ,my New Northwind, The Crusier ,a fast racing type perow and the Duck ,the boat I built for the rec class racing.
Derrick in the Duck

Cork in the Crusier

I was in the North wind

We paddled pretty easy and saw a lot of wildlife , two fawns with spots still on them ,a couple beavers that were so dang big I thought they were small hogs, and a few hogs, a bunch of bird life.
30 minutes before dark we started looking for a good bar to camp on ,lucked out and found one and had camp set up before dark. I was using my cot and a small tent that is attached on top of it.
To be continue
Ron
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Hot but fun

Post by tx river rat »

Opps
Got the boat pictures crossed up that is a pic of Derrick in the Crusier and Cork in the Duck.
Here is a shot of the tent cot,
and since there is a fire ban we had to modify the way we cooked

had some brisket ,ribs and hot sausage cooked and warmed up on the grill.
I picked a bass rod up and cast for awhile and hooked into this fellow , he gave me a fit for awhile.

Image these things fight.
18 lb buffalo.

caught a couple big soft shells and a few fish gar ,fishing wasnt that good..

The next morning we did a lot of playing in the yaks, Cork tried out the Duck and wouldnt let her dad have it back and Derrick really like the Crusier with the flat bottom and easy handling..
I changed the seats around and Cork and I trying the Northwind tandem, she will fly with two paddlers , I weigh 200 Cork weighs 115 and she didnt even know she had a load.

about noon we loaded and headed to the take out

Cork was handling the 20 inch wide Duck like a pro ,kids are amazing.
All three of these boats are fast so we made the twelve miles to the take out in pretty short order.

We hit it just right on the camping , at dark a wind started blowing and it wasnt long before all of us was reaching for cover , paddling was not bad it is always cooler on the water and we had a breeze all day.
This was a shake down crusie for my new boat rigged for camping several days ,she passed with flying colors.had a blast with the sil and cork.
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Pic of my three strip stitch and glue boats

Ron
Mick
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and canoes

Post by Mick »

G'day Ron,

Great report and piccies mate. thank you for sharing.

Speak to me about your Duck and Cruiser. Interested minds need to know. :D
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Mick
The ugly Duck ,Duck for short is a asymmetrical 16 ft long boat that Matt designed for me for the rec marathon racing class, it is 20 inches wide at the bottom 22inches wide at the 4 inch water line square ends to get you the longest water line possible ,my style of tapered decks for no weather cocking and ease of fighting a head wind.. This boat is my fastest and surprisingly being narrow she is extremely well mannered. So far I have run into a rec boat that could catch her. tracks like a arrow
The Crusier a friend of mine designed . He was talking about building a fast perow that was also stable ,so one day I told him to do it and I would build it. It has very little angle on the sides is 20 inches wide at the bottom 16 ft long. It is a sweet paddling boat turns well and is reasonably fast ,for my use the nose is to high ,catches wind, and it has a little to much rocker for my taste. The Duck will run off and leave it.
Ron