cridgie down under final pics laker 14 posted sunday

Per request from the many Laker builders, the section is dedicated to braggin' about your Laker kayak.
cridgie down under

Re: cridgie down under final pics laker 14 posted sunday

Post by cridgie down under »

Hi Slider it is just a moulded plastic ? chair, i first cut the legs off so that the base was almost on the ply so i would be not sitting too high .I then cut the arms off leaving app. 1.5 inches still attached to the base .It was always my intention to cut the back off but i thought ,if i cut it off now i cant put it back on again,I am glad i left it on as it is one of the most comfortable seats i could wish for .I glued two pieces of ply to the floor of the yack cut to shape of the chair contour
and at the back there is one s/s screw into the cowling, mainly so i dont lose it in a roll over .i have just came back from fishing ,caught 4 nice silver bream all about 12 - 14 inches its dark now
So what i will do tomorrow, i will take a few pics of the actual chair in and out of the kayak. The chair cost me $ 1.50 at the recycle centre ,including the cushion :lol:
regards Ray
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

8) CONGRATS 8) A great job and most of all i love your seat :wink: Might have to steal that idea :D

Mike
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
slider
Type of boat I like: Pirogue

Post by slider »

Hope it went without saying but I liked the whole boat too. Nice work!
cridgie down under

thanks fellas i hope the pics attached now re seat helpImageImageImage
the green chair is only a comparison ,you can in fact cut any plastic chair down
The black small square on the cream cut down is a velcro patch for my padded cushion, about half way down the centre rib you will notice the counter sunk screw hole .it is not needed for strength ,only as a "keeper"
The ply blocks on the floor simply stop the seat from sliding forward
As i might have stated before i have had a couple of kayaks before and this seat is the most comfortable
seat i have had.
Sorry for the delay i have had a bit of trouble logging in, but an sos to gem fixed the problem great bunch of guys, thanks
regards ray
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

The risers on each side of the chair,is that what was left of the armrests and if so what are you useing them for now?

Thanks in advance,Mike
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
cridgie down under

The risers were left on only for a bit of strength in that area . i now know the top part could be cut off. The lower sections i would leave on as it gives more surface on the floor and more importantly sets the chair on a slight angle which i find is more comfortable , a slight lean back rather than a stiff upright position. they could be cut off completely,however i again applied the principle "once i cut it off i cant put it back on" .on one side i have my scabbard attached for my fishing knife . hope that answers your query
regards
cridgie down under

The wetting has taken place and she has been well and truly " slimed catching some nice bream on her second outing . Matt you guys have designed a fantastic yak in the laker 14 .i took her through the waves her first time out and heeled her over to the coaming, came in dry every time bar one which was my fault as i over stepped the mark in my excitement. they weren't big waves as i was in the harbour , approx. 2ft to 3 ft max. i also mistimed an entry and ploughed through a small wave,sliced through like butter and only got about a pint of water in the cockpit.i will make this the final edition on my first build ,and enjoy this lovely designed craft to the full .pics attached, four nice legal bream,location of catch bellinger river, and resting in the marina inside coffs harbour
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

Congratulations Ray, great build and even better christening!

Bet you were grinning like a Cheshire cat :D .
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Perfect!

Exactly what the Laker was intended for... easy recreational paddling, taking on a little rough water if needed, soaking some worms. :D
-Matt. Designer.
olsnappa
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by olsnappa »

Well done Ray.
Good result all round.... :)
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"