Interesting Design: Inverted V

Worth mentioning but don't fit in other categories.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Hi Guys, just re-visited this thread. I reckon that boat with a little tweaking here & there and a leccy motor might make a real good fly fishing platform.

Professional line fishermen use something similar to that hull as dories to mother ships on the great barrier reef. their boats are 14ft long by about 4 ft wide and generally powered by about a 25hp outboard.

I did this for about a year, targeting coral trout and red throat emporer and they are superb in this role.We weren't using fly gear, but heavy handlines and standing up to fish all day.

A smaller version of same could be the answer to a skinny water trout fisherman's prayers.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Yohan1973
Type of boat I like: fly fishing SKIFF.

Re:

Post by Yohan1973 »

Oldsparkey wrote:Boy, I am glad I read this today ... So you also had a bad time with one of them. :(

That reminded me that I forgot all about the misadventures some folks have had with them . :oops: .......... Any reference to It is removed from my site. NO..... I never paddled one but from the complaints I have received was enough for me to not want to paddle one of them.

I don't have to worry about professional courtesy so I can say anything and on my site if we believe in you ... You are there ......and if we don't like what you have then you are not there, Pure and simple.

Chuck.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I am soooooooooooo curious now????? Ugggggg
lol
jem wrote:
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Interesting Design: Inverted V

Post by jem »

Just some interactions with a Tupperware builder of a design like that. The interactions were "less than amicable". :P
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

jem wrote:Just some interactions with a Tupperware builder of a design like that. The interactions were "less than amicable". :P
Matt , you are being to nice.
I will stay with discussions about the safe ones a person can enjoy and recommend them. Besides I am sure he was just using my web site as a point of solicitation ( Spam ) for his. Plus , from what I was told , his customer satisfaction was less then compatible to our standards.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jpsaxnc
Type of boat I like: Pirogue

Post by jpsaxnc »

Hi All, my is James, I'm a new member and novice boat builder. I'm building a sort of 3/4 scale UJ Bayou skiff, (3/4 scale due to limited build space and physical strength, 62 and 116lbs. I have a minor grasp of boat design and I assume that for a boat to move forward it must be pushing some quantity of water ahead of it, which got me to thinking about the inverted V design. I was thinking that a boat with say a 28" to 30" wide bottom with a V about 1" high in the middle might let the water that the boat would have to push forward, pass underneath instead? I'm kind of an impulsive thinker.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Your thinking is correct. In fact, I'm playing with a paddleboard design with that concept.
-Matt. Designer.