Interesting Design: Inverted V

Worth mentioning but don't fit in other categories.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Interesting Design: Inverted V

Post by jem »

That image can be found on this page http://invertedvboats.bravepages.com/
-Matt. Designer.
Kris

Post by Kris »

Would this be negligible for smaller boats like canoes? It seems more suited to powerboats to me? Are there currently any boats on the market that utilize this type of hull?

Kris
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

There's a few plastic boats of this nature out there like this except more of pontoon hulls.

Kiwi Kayak has this one

There's another brand out there that I tried. My PERSONAL OPINION about it is that it's unsafe. So I won't mention the brand or the website or allow it to be mentioned in this forum. Mom said if you can't say something nice.... :P

Anyway, I've tinkered around in my head with stitch and glue versions of a mini catamaran boat (canoe) but it's such a radical concept, I'd be afraid to publish plans without a prototype being made first.

One thing about an inverted V hull in a canoe that worries me is this: Imagine paddling it into some mud or silt: You'd slice right in and get stuck! :lol: But it actually would not be a hard canoe to build.
-Matt. Designer.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Goofing around with some sketches.

Actaully drew together pretty fast. Biggest issue I see with a hull like this is you'd always be plowing the water forward if the peak of the inverted V was below the waterline. A motor could overcome that easy but would kinda suck paddling.

Would definately need some sort of seat...imagine sitting on that peak. OUCH! :shock:
-Matt. Designer.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Even MORE goofing around. :P

If you had something with a tunnel that sat above the waterline, then it wouldn't plow.

I played with this concept a while ago. Designed the tunnel size to be comfortable to kneel over. Even made a small mock up tunnel to test comfort. It was pretty comfortable. You'd need to install a small bench on top of the tunnel for sitting.

2 biggest concern for this concept are stiffness, (keeping the to 2 pontoons from wanting to flex apart) and weight (this would weigh more because it has more surface area to construct).

I SUSPECT is would be very stable...maybe even enough to stand comfortably without too much "pucker" factor. But that's a lot of therory and that doesn't always reflect reality.

And again, concept is radical and I'd want to have one prototyped before publishing.

-Matt. Designer.

Post by Guest »

That second one if a very obscure looking canoe! I bet that would hand chop on a larger lake really well though. Something that would be interesting just try out and see it works if nothing else.

Kris
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Yea it won't win any beuaty contests, that for sure!

This idea has always been a temptation. Just gotta bite the bullet and try it to get it out of my system.

One of these years.... :roll:
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Hi Matt,

Just a thought,

If you put a floor in it at about the level of the top of the tunnel and sealed it, You could add scuppers at the back and have a self draining hull - very stable hunting/fishing platform and could be perhaps powered by a small electric outboard.

regards,

Mick
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Excellent points.

But too many questions about if it would actually be stable need to be answered with a real-life test.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

I think it would be stable enough. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)