scottrunnr's Tandem Fishing SOT

Builder show and discuss their progress.
scottrunnr
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by scottrunnr »

You guys will get a laugh out of this one. :lol:

Given that I'll have my kids on board, I was concerned about floatation for the kayak (yes we will all always wear pfd's). So I bought some of that 2-part poly foam. I've never used it before but, it seemed simple enough. Mix equal quantities of the 2 liquids, stir for 20 secs, pour it in, and it expands in 45 secs. So that's what I did.

After about 1 minute it didn't look like it had expanded much and it seemed like such a small amount. So I quickly made up more and poured it in. Did I mention that I was outside and the temp had dropped into the 60's. Oh yeah, the low temp apparently effects the reaction rate.

It finally kicked after a couple of minutes. At first I was very amused and impressed with how the foam expanded. It kept expanding. I thought wow it really creates lots of foam for such a small amout. It kept expanding and expanding. My amusement is now turning to anxiety as it's getting near the lip of the hull and starting to push the cockpit walls in and the hull out. Now I'm panicking as it's going above the hull and I'm frantically trying to carve it out while it's still sticky! :shock:

I finally had to let it harden a bit and then cut/carve it out with a hack-saw and crow-bar. In the end it turned out fine. But what a circus for a bit! It was like that I Love Lucy episode when she's working at the chocolate factory!

Another lesson learned!
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Where is someone with a camera when a photo opportunity like that is happening? :lol:

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

oh man that same thing happened to me on a row bow I tried years ago.

Except my seam wasn't completely cured and it popped it open! :evil:
-Matt. Designer.
scottrunnr
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by scottrunnr »

Things have been really crazy at work. So it took me quite a while to finally finish up the kayak. You'll see the latest pictures below. I still haven't managed to get it in the water yet! Hopefully next weekend before the fall weather turns for the worst.

Here's a view of the bottom after applying graphite/epoxy:

A shot of the bottom from the side:

View from the bow:

I installed an oblong brass eye pad up on the bow for carrying, towing, etc. The 4 screws for it go right into the bow-pour:

View from the side:

View of the rod holders in the stern behind the stern paddler. Mick, this should look familiar as I got the configuration from you. Two angled flush rod-holders at 45 degrees and two stright vertical ones for a gaff & net. The hatch is flush mounted with a brass hinge and brass spring catch/handle.

View of the rear hatch open. This is where we'll place the Bluefish and Stripped Bass we catch along with some ice.

This is the floor mounted hatch by the stern paddler. Tons of storage space there!

Looking from the stern forward at the forward paddlers floor storage hatch and forward cockpit wall storage hatch.

I decided to modify the shape of the stern a bit to make it look a little sporter. Instead of being straight vertical, the upper portion of the stern is angled in. Also installed a carrying handle.

Another view of the stern.

A view from the bow of some of the rods placed in rod holders. Didn't catch anything in the basement. :cry:

Another view of the rods but, from the stern.

jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

well aren't you gonna trick it out? :lol:

great work!!

Do I dare ask the "W" question?
-Matt. Designer.
scottrunnr

Post by scottrunnr »

I did a rough weighing which came in in the 115-120lb range. I'll try to get a more accirate measurement in the next day or so.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

:shock:
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi Scott,

Beautiful work and boat mate. Well done. BTW i loveyour rod holder setup mate :lol:
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Scott

You did not build a boat you built a work of art that should get you a ton of fish. This is one good looking fishing machine.

When you get all of those super big, large, huge, oversized fish ... then post some pictures and let's show Mick how it is done over here in the colonies. :D You know .. The fish are so big that you can only get half of one in the fish box.
Pssssssst...Over here .. Remember the smaller ones are the bait you were using.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
dangermouse01

Post by dangermouse01 »

scottrunnr wrote:
A view from the bow of some of the rods placed in rod holders. Didn't catch anything in the basement. :cry:

You must be using the wrong bait! :wink:

WOW!!!! (enough said?)
Looks terrific.

Once you get moving on the water, pity anything that gets in your way.:lol:

DM